Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cooking: Fresh Salsa Recipe
















First, the spicy...

Peel and Finely Chop:
1 small onion
3 large (or 4-5 small) cloves of garlic

Remove Ribs and Seeds (Unless you are adventurous) and finely chop:
3 fresh jalapenos (from my co-worker's garden)

Then the acid...

Add:
1 tbsp lemon (or lime) juice
1 tbsp vinegar

Coarsely Chop:
3 large red tomatoes (from my neighbor's garden)
1 large yellow tomato (from my co-worker's garden)

Finally, the seasoning....
1 tsp salt

Toss all of the ingredients together. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving.

NOTES:

  1. This is even better if you make it a day ahead.
  2. Of course you don't have to use your neighbors' produce. You could use your own. But mine are stalling this year and I can't wait! 
  3. If you DO use your neighbors' tomatoes, chances are they were extras they couldn't use, and therefore overripe. If so, drain your salsa before refrigerating. It should look more like a salad than a salsa when you put it in the fridge. It will make more juice as it rests.
  4. Different colored tomatoes aren't necessary, but it really makes a pretty salsa. Go ahead and use 4 red ones if you like. Seriously, cooking is an art, not a science.
  5. Yes, this is MY recipe, one I actually made. I like it. You may want cilantro, but I don't have any. You may not like it at all. That's OK, it won't hurt my feelings. I bet there are thousands of salsa recipes on the Internet. I bet a few are even better than mine. But this is a good one; I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment