Friday, July 1, 2011

Gardening: Early Harvest

Ah, the first fruits of our Spring labor! There's something about those first couple garden items that keep the hope going into summer. I mean, the fun part of the gardening is done. The dirt and mulch have been hauled. The rows have been cut in. The garden has been planned, laid out, and watered. Now, all that's left is weeding and protecting against bugs and critters. What fun would that be if not for:

The First Radish


AND....

An Almost Unending Supply of Fresh Herbs for Cooking

AND

Hope for the Future
(Garlic)

Admittedly, I do look forward to an August of being up to my eyeballs in tomatoes and green peppers. Making pickles and cucumber salad will be so wonderful when the time comes. But for now, I am happy with the herbs. I am overjoyed with the 2 small green peppers and 2 tiny heads of garlic. I am very pleased, most of all, with the huge bunch of garlic sets above - 2 years in the making -  that prove that I can grow garlic in my garden; I just need some patience. I'm excited about putting my many rows of garlic into the ground in October and perhaps being independent of the grocery store for garlic next summer. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see your garden up and growing. Ours is crisp and dry.
    I must say congratulations on the garlic; seems tricky to me. We have had only minimal success here with it.
    Happy Harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been watching your blog and seriously, if I could split my rain between you and me I would, and there would be more than enough for both of us!

    Ok, so I only got 2 usable heads of garlic this year, and I got them by leaving them in the ground since last year, but I am going to plant them the "right way" this year - plant them in October and harvest in July. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete